This IELTS Academic Writing Task 1 post focuses on another diagram of how solar panels generate electricity for a house and contribute to the grid. The post will guide you to understand the diagram in detail and write a great answer for it. You will also find bonus tips at the end of the post.
Let’s take a look at the question first.
The diagram shows how solar panels generate electricity for a home and contribute to the grid.
Here are some important points to be noted when writing an answer to this diagram:
- The diagram has 8 stages.
- It starts with the sun giving sun rays.
- It ends in energy suppliers giving credit to the homeowner.
- In the fourth stage, the AC current is divided into two parts; one part goes to the outlets, and the other goes to the meter as excess electricity.
- The writing structure for the model answer is:
- Introduction: Paraphrase the title and make an overall comment on the picture. (2 lines with 30-50 words)
- Description: Describe the picture in 100-130 words explaining all the stages.
- Use Simple Present Tense
- Use simple, compound, and complex sentences.
- Use the Third person as the subject.
- Use passive voice as the action doer is not present.
The diagram is a clear illustration of electricity generation by solar panels for a home which also contributes to the local grid.
Overall, the process includes a total of eight stages beginning with the sun giving rays and culminating in receiving credit from the electricity supplier.
First of all, the sun provides the necessary sun rays which are received by the solar panels on the roof of the house. The panels turn the solar energy into DC current and supply it to an inverter which is set at the sidewall of the house. DC current is converted to AC current by the inverter in the third stage. Subsequently, a breaker box splits the AC current and supplies it to the channels in the house. In the fifth stage, this electricity provides energy to lights, fans, and all other machines in the house. After that, a meter measures if there is any excess Ac current left after the usage and sends it to the local power grid afterward. As a final point, energy suppliers credit the homeowner for the excess electricity provided to the grid.
This answer to the given diagram contains a concise introduction. The overall comment contains the key features. The body paragraph is well-organized and the writer has used linking devices flexibly and perfectly and it also maintains the logical order. The use of complex and compound sentences is accurate and passive voices are also used. Collocations are also used.
BONUS TIPS: You should not use any CONCLUDING statement in your TASK 1 answer as you are not providing any opinion. The only thing here to do is to provide a description of the picture. So, we do not need any conclusion.
Here are some other Task 1 samples and answers for you: