This is the second set of general questions of IELTS Speaking Part 1 with some model answers. If you want to have a great band score in the speaking module, you need to start with a great impression on the examiner’s mind. This is possible by practicing the general questions over and over again. Here are some questions with model answers for Speaking Part 1, which, I believe, will help you a lot in your IELTS Speaking preparation.
- Do you have a small or large circle of friends?
- Example answer: Well, I usually like to meet people. So, I have a large circle of friends.
- How often do you see your friends?
- Example answer: As I am quite busy with my work and family, I see my friends once or twice a month.
- What things do you like doing together?
- Example answer: Usually we like to chat with each other and visit some exotic places around us. We also like to play and have food together.
- How important is it to have close friends?
- Example answer: I think it is really important to have close friends. It’s because there are some matters which can’t discuss with family but we can share them with our friends and get good advice.
- What makes a good friend?
- Example answer: Importantly trust and honesty make a good friend. Selflessness and a feeling of sacrifice also make a good friend.
- Describe your best friend.
- Example answer: My best friend’s name is Stephen. He is British by birth. He’s about 25 years old. He studies with me at Hallburn University in Biochemistry. He’s a tall guy with a stout figure. He’s one of the most amiable people I’ve ever met. He’s quite modern in his thinking and attitude. His lifestyle is very simple. He likes to listen to music in his free time.
- How long have you known each other?
- Example answer: We’ve known each other since our first day at the university.
- What do you usually do together?
- Example answer: Usually we stay together at the university. We do our library work and assignments together. Sometimes we go for long drives with other friends. We also do some social work and have a lot of fun together.
- What do you like most about him/her?
- Example answer: The thing I like most about him is his simple mind and friendly behavior with everybody. I think this makes him different from other friends.
- What sort of home do you live in?
- Example answer: I live in a flat.
- Do you live in a house or a flat?
- Example answer: I live in a flat.
- How long have you lived in your home?
- Example answer: I’ve been living here for 10 years.
- What do you like or dislike about your home?
- Example answer: I like the airy and shiny atmosphere of the flat. The thing I don’t like is the sound of traffic around.
- What is your favorite room? Why?
- Example answer: My favorite room is my room which I also use as my study. I like it more than the other rooms because sufficient air and light come into the room easily and the color of the room is light green which is my favorite color.
- Is there anything you’d like to improve about your home?
- Example answer: Yes, I would like to add a small garden on one of my balconies. I like plants a lot and I think it will create a better impression when someone comes to my flat.
- Do you do household chores? What are they?
- Example answer: Sure, I do most of the household chores by myself. They include sweeping, doing vacuum, ironing my clothes, washing clothes, cooking, etc.
- What type of chores did you do as a child?
- Example answer: Well, when I was a child, I used to do small stuff like cleaning some show-pieces, arranging my bookshelf, making my bed, etc.
- Do you have a small or large family?
- Example answer: I have a small family. It consists of only 4 members. Me, my mother, my wife, and my brother.
- Do you spend a lot of time with your family?
- Example answer: Well, I try to spend as much time as I can spare. But, as I am busy with my work, it’s hard for me to spend much time with my family.
- What do you enjoy doing most with your family?
- Example answer: The most enjoyable thing that I do with family is to have a party or eat out.
- When did you last celebrate a special event with your family?
- Example answer: It was a couple of months ago. We celebrated my younger brother’s 16th birthday.
- How do families help each other in your country?
- Example answer: In our country families help each other in many ways. They each other in arranging a big family event, doing social work, and even arranging a small picnic. We also help each other in times of emergency.
- Do you think attitudes to families are changing?
- Example answer: Yes, I think so. The world is now progressing rapidly. The value of the nuclear family is increasing while extended families are splitting. People are losing social skills and becoming more like a robot. This is not a good thing for us or for the next generation.
- With whom do you take your main meals?
- Example answer: I take my main meals with my family.
- When do you have your main meal of the day?
- Example answer: I have my main meal of the day at night.
- Do you prefer to eat at home or in restaurants?
- Example answer: I prefer to eat at home. I don’t like taking the main meals in restaurants.
- Do you think home-cooked meals are healthier?
- Example answer: Yes, indeed. Home-cooked meals are much healthier. We don’t need to worry about the quality of the food or nutritional value. It’s safer too.
- On what occasions in your country do people eat special meals?
- Example answer: People eat special meals during big family events or festivals.
- Which dishes are popular in your country?
- Example answer: The most popular dishes in my country are pizza, risotto, and spaghetti.
- Is it important for families to eat together where you live?
- Example answer: Of course. It’s considered very important for families to eat together where we live. It’s because social bond becomes stronger in this way. People get closer and they share their personal problems and experiences too.
- Do you think it is good for people to eat together as a group?
- Example answer: Yes, I think it is good. As we are social beings, eating together unites us and we feel more comfortable in this way.
- Describe a traditional dish from your country.
- Example answer: A traditional dish from my country is risotto. It originated in northern Italy. It’s a rice dish cooked in soup to a buttery consistency. Risotto contains butter, onion, and wine in different recipe varieties. It’s a dish that needs constant care and attention. It also depends on what variety of rice you are using. The rice is first cooked in good quality onion and oil or butter. Then white wine is added which should be absorbed by the grains. The heat is raised to medium-high at this point. You have to stir the stock constantly. Thus you get a creamy texture. Then parmesan cheese and butter are added to it. Risotto always has a creamy texture and is properly cooked. Every Italian house cooks this dish at any small or big party, even for family eating.
- How much free time do you have?
- Example answer: I don’t have much free time as I am busy with my work. Usually, I have one or two hours of free time every day.
- How do you spend your free time?
- Example answer: I love reading and playing cricket or football in my free time.
- What kinds of things do you like doing in your free time?
- Example answer: In my free time I like reading books, playing with my younger brother, arranging a small party at my house, and doing some gardening.
- Do you prefer to spend your free time alone or with other people?
- Example answer: I never like to spend my free time alone. I usually spend my leisure time with my family and friends.
- Do you think people have enough free time these days?
- Example answer: These days people are becoming busier than ever. Our life is becoming machine-like. We are busy with our work so much. So, people don’t have enough free time these days.
- What do you usually do on weekends?
- Example answer: On my weekends I like to go fishing in nearby lakes. I also like to visit my distant relatives and friends.
- What did you do last weekend?
- Example answer: Last weekend I went to visit one of my ailing friends. He was very sick and I thought I would pay him a visit rather than staying in my house. He was really delighted to see me.
- Do you have plans for the next weekend?
- Example answer: Yes, I do. I’ve been invited by my maternal uncle in his house to pass a few hours and have lunch together. So, I’m going there.
Try to practice two or three topics at a time. It will not only save you important time but also boost your confidence in Speaking part 1. For instance, you can practice topics like your favorite personality, your father, your best friend, and some similar topics at the same time. The questions will be very close here. So, you need not do much hard work here.
If you like the post, please put down your comments below.
Here is a list of some other Part 1 topics that you can follow:
- weather, travel, tourism
- work, studies, school, hometown/city
- games, sports, music
- computers, internet, emails
- health & fitness, swimming, hobbies, photography