In IELTS Speaking exam, part 1 consists of some general questions which are asked by examiners. You need to have a good preparation for this segment because answering correctly and skillfully in this segment may give you the start which can lead to an attractive band score. In this post, I’ve prepared some example answers (work, studies, school, hometown/ city) which can be a guide to arrange your own creative answers. You may need to change some answers according to your needs.
(Here, the answer will vary from person to person.)
- Do you work or study?
- Example answer: I work in a firm/ bank/ college/ shop. Or. I have an independent business.
- What do you do for a living?
- Example answer: I work in a firm/ bank/ college/ shop/ restaurant/ office/ I do freelancing.
- Do you enjoy your work?
- Example answer: Yes, I do. I enjoy it very much.
- Did you face any difficulties in getting your present job?
- Example answer: Yes, I had to compete with a lot of candidates for the present job. Also, I had to face two/three interviews.
- Which part of your job is exciting?
- Example answer: The most exciting part of my job is meeting new people and taking new challenges set by the authority.
- What are the main tasks/ responsibilities of your job?
- Example answer: The main tasks/ responsibilities of my job include completing works within the stipulated time, arranging meetings, organizing seminars, meeting clients or business personnel etc.
- Did you have any difficulty getting your present job?
- Example answer: Yes indeed. I had to appear in some exams and interviews. I had to compete with some brilliant minds. At present, the job market is really competitive.
- Do you plan to continue/stay in this job for a long time?
- Example answer: Yes, I want to continue this job for a long time because it gives me lots of pleasure and I’m learning new things every time I’m doing any new task.
- Would you like to change this job?
- Example answer: No, I don’t have that kind of plan at the moment. I’m happy with this job.
- Which is more important – your job or the people you work with?
- Example answer: In my opinion, both are important. The reason being my survival depends on my job and the people I work with can provide me support, share their experiences, and give me comfort and zeal when I’m working.
(Here, the answer may vary from person to person.)
- Do you work or are you a student?
- Example answer: I’m a student.
- What subject are you studying?
- Example answer: I’m doing post-graduation/ graduation in Environmental Science/ Journalism/ Accounting.
- Is it a difficult subject?
- Example answer: Well, I don’t think so. Rather, I enjoy this subject very much.
- Why did you choose this subject?
- Example answer: I chose it for two reasons. Firstly, I have had a dream to study this subject since my childhood. Secondly, I enjoy the different aspects of this subject very much.
- What do you like most about this subject? Or, What’s the most interesting aspect of your subject?
- Example answer: (Here, the answer will vary from person to person. You have to prepare this answer according to the subject you are studying. Post in comments if you have any problem preparing this answer.)
- What do you plan to do when you finish studying?
- Example answer: After finishing my study, I would like to start an independent business.
- Or, After finishing my study, I would like to join a reputed organization where I can become a successful professional.
(Here, the answer may vary from person to person.)
- At what age do most people leave school in your country?
- Example answer: Generally, people leave school at 16 or 17 in my country when they get ready to join a college or university.
- Do you think it’s a good age to leave school?
- Example answer: Yes, I think so. Because this age is ideal to start higher-secondary level of education.
- What was your favorite subject at school? Why?
- Example answer: In my school-life, my most favorite subject was English language and Arts and crafts. Because these subjects opened a new world of knowledge for me where I have never entered before.
- What do you think are the most important subjects at school?
- Example answer: I think the most important subjects at school are mathematics, English, geography, history, and general science.
- Do you think children should be taught religious values, music and musical instruments in school?
- Example answer: Yes, I think it’s a good idea to include religious values and music in school syllabus. These subjects can easily enhance or broaden our outlook and perspective in many ways.
- What city or town are you from?
- Example answer: I’m from New York, USA.
- Is it a big city or a small town?
- Example answer: It is a big city. It’s called The Big Apple.
- Is it a rural or urban area?
- Example answer: It’s an urban area.
- Tell me about your hometown/city.
- Example answer: My city is New York. It is a very big city. It is the most populous city in the United States. About 8 and a half million people live here. It is one of the most beautiful destinations in the whole world. It is also known as the land of opportunity. There are five boroughs of New York City: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. I live in the Manhattan borough.
- Describe your neighborhood.
- Example answer: My neighborhood is a very nice and tidy place. There are about 45 houses and 10 mansions in this neighborhood. People of different races, colors, and professions live here. There is barely any problem here. It has all kinds of modern amenities. We also have some office blocks here.
- Is it a good place for people with young children?
- Example answer: Yes, I think it is a very safe place for people with young children. There is a 24- hour security system in our neighborhood. Children can move around here easily.
- Can you describe the people of your hometown?
- Example answer: In my hometown, there are people of different cultures, countries, races, and colors. They have different professions and interests. Most of them are extremely friendly and out-going. They are hospitable and helpful. We can share our problems with each other easily.
- What do most people do for work in your hometown?
- Example answer: Most of the people in my hometown are professionals in different offices.
- What is your hometown famous for?
- Example answer: My hometown is famous for some big landmarks and some festivals. We observe some festivals at different times of the year where people from other places join us. One such festival is the “Spring Festival”.
- Do you think it is a good/interesting place to live in?
- Example answer: Yes, I think so. The reason being the people in my hometown are generous and helpful. We are quite hospitable and outgoing. We do not have any big problems here. We can solve all the problems within our jurisdiction. It’s a very safe place for people of all ages.
Familiarize yourself with different types of general questions in Speaking Part 1. You can take Cambridge IELTS series books for instance. Just collect all the part 1 questions and arrange your answers taking help from posts like this one.
Click the following links for practicing other Speaking Part 1 topics:
- friends, home, family, food, free time/pastime
- weather, travel, tourism
- games, sports, music
- computers, internet, emails
- health & fitness, swimming, hobbies, photography
- shopping, festivals, smoking
Post your comments below if you like this article. If you face any difficulty regarding part 1 questions, you will be given solutions and suggestions for your improvement.