In this IELTS Speaking Part 2 post, I’m going to discuss the speaking part of the IELTS test. This post is based on part 2. Here we are going to describe a model answer for the topic favourite colour. You will find a short discussion on how to prepare yourself for the cue card as well as some notes that will help you speak fluently. You will also get some part-3 questions at the end of the post.
Let’s have a look at the topic card:
A short discussion on the topic card:
Before you start speaking, you should jot down some ideas for the topic card.
Here are some notes that may help you speak fluently:
- Colour – purple
- Mixture of red and light blue – secondary colour
- First realisation as favourite – school trip to a botanical garden
- Many types of purple flowers – lavender, lilac, aster, cosmos, pansy, orchid
- Why I like – calming effect on mind – when stressed – I look – mind becomes relieved
I think that “purple” is my favourite colour, which is a mixture of red and blue light colour in equal amount. Therefore, purple is basically a secondary colour.
I first realised that purple is my most favourite when I was having a school trip to a botanical garden about 10 years ago. I was a student of 8th Standard back then. There were hundreds of different types of flowers there. I always thought red was my favourite colour. However, on that particular day, everything about colour changed for me. In that botanical garden, there was a section dedicated to flowers of purple colours. There were lavender, lilac, aster, cosmos, pansy, orchid and many other types that I can’t recall right now. All those flowers of different forms, shapes and colour patterns of purple mesmerized me. Since then, I became fond of this lovely colour.
In my opinion, the colour purple adds a calming effect on a space as well as my mind and nerves. In my bedroom, some of my bed sheets are of this colour. Even one of the four walls of my room contains a mixture of light and deep purple colour. I believe that it is more interesting and visible than the other primary colours. An interesting fact of my life regarding the colour, I always feel that when I become stressed or angry, if I look at anything that contains purple colour, my mind becomes relaxed and I can easily come out of any form of stress. I don’t know whether this is scientific or not but I concur that favourite colour may have a profound effect on our mind.
For all those mentioned reasons, the colour purple is the most favourite colour for me.
Part 3 questions:
- Can you describe any practical use of some colours in your day-to-day life?
- Do you think colour influences our personality? Why/ Why not?
- Why some colours hurt our eyes whereas some other colours look enjoyable?
- Do you think fashion choice depends largely on colours? Why/ Why not?
- Which colour is the most common in your country? Why?
Your ability to talk about this Cue Card Topic would help you to talk about the following Cue Card Topics as well:
- Describe the colour you really like.
- Describe the colour you always prefer.
- Describe the most beautiful colour.
Here are model answers to some other speaking topic cards for your preparation: